Car Insurance Terms Explained
Let’s face it. Car insurance terms aren’t always simple to comprehend. It doesn’t matter if you are considering filing a claim or trying to understand the regulations and the terms of your policy. Sometimes , the terms make you think.
Insurance doesn’t have to be to be complicated. We have prepared an alphabetical list of terms you’ll encounter during your insurance experience. So you’ll be prepared when it’s time to discuss car insurance, you’ll feel confident.
A Car Insurance Term Glossary
Accident Assistance: A helpful button found within your TD Insurance Mobile App that you can use to instantly request an tow truck to start a new claim. Our First Response Centre will quickly connect you.
- Accident Forgiveness: Sometimes referred to as ‘Claim Forgiveness’, it’s an option that lets you accept that you will not adjust the cost of your insurance after your first accident , if you’re deemed to be at-fault or partly at fault.
- Actual Cash Value: The current market value of your car before the damage.
- Additional Driver: Anyone that’s allowed to drive your car (other that you) which includes family members and friends. You can include these people in your policy.
- Adjuster: Sometimes referred to as an “advisor”, they’re an expert we assign, who has experience in gathering data regarding your vehicle, coordinating an appraisal, and determining the dollar value of the vehicle or the settlement by assessing the damage or loss.
- At-Fault Based on the circumstances of the incident, you may be held between 0% to 100% accountable for the accident. Anyone who is 1% or more accountable for an accident will have their at-fault accident documented on their insurance documents. There are a variety of ways the determination of fault can be made. This can differ between one claim and the next. There are guidelines in some provinces for determining the amount of fault. But, based on the evidence and circumstances, the determination may vary.
- Auto Claims Monitor: This feature allows you to monitor the status and progress of your claim. After you have opened your claim, you are able to monitor your claim online or via the TD Insurance Mobile App. You can also receive information about your claim via email or text from your advisor based on the method you choose.
Claim: If you have been the victim of damage or loss to your vehicle, this is the claim you have to provide in order to be approved to indemnify and validate you. It is also the form that you have to submit if you cause harm or injury to someone else or property.
- Accident Benefits – Coverage: All medical and other expenses are covered in an accident regardless of fault. This could include medical and income replacement.
- All Perils Insurance: Additional coverage that will cover all losses, excluding those that are specifically excluded by your insurance policy. All perils coverage covers damages to your vehicle when it is damaged or stolen by an uninvolved driver or a member of your household.
- Bodily Injury Coverage: Protection from liability for loss or damage to property.
- Collision Coverage: Optional coverage that covers repair costs if your vehicle is damaged or struck by another object. With this coverage, we take on the cost of repairs required to fix your vehicle, minus the amount you’ll pay as your deductible.
- Coverage – Comprehensive: A coverage package for your vehicle that is based certain risks, such as flood, hail and fire, to name a few (see the definition of ‘perils’). This coverage does not include Collision Coverage.
- Coverage Direct Compensation: Coverage that provides compensation for your car and its contents if a different party is at fault, and you collect directly from your own insurer.
- Family Protection: This option extends your coverage to include your family and you up to the maximum amount of your liability coverage. This type of protection can be helpful if you’re injured in an accident else who has the minimum liability insurance. Family protection is standard on car insurance policies across Canada with the exception of Quebec in which it’s not an option.
- Coverage Grand Touring Solution: This is a service we offer as an optional insurance option to drivers within Canada or in the US that provides coverage if you find yourself in an accident, if your vehicle was vandalized or stolen, or in the event that a natural catastrophe causes damage to your vehicle and so on. Coverage is also offered for damage to borrowed or rented vehicles, and also provides a hit and run deductible waiver, as well as reimbursement for the emergency road assistance you may require.
- Coverage-Limited Glass coverage is available for your glass and windshield even if you have full coverage. You can still select limited glass coverage to provide some protection in the case that your windshield is damaged by theft or vandalism. However, any cracks or chips caused by use are not covered.
- Coverage Liability: The mandatory insurance protection that shields you from being held personally accountable for damages and injuries caused to a third party or the property of a third party. You can choose to purchase additional liability insurance according to the policy you have. You could also purchase civil liability coverage to cover damage done by an insured car an individual.
- Coverage – Limited Waiver of Depreciation:An optional coverage that typically gives you the purchase price of the vehicle in the event that your vehicle is deemed to be to be a total loss . It is valid for 36 months from the date of car’s delivery.
Please note, in Ontario this coverage is known as Removing Depreciation Deduction. In Quebec this coverage is also known as Waiver of Depreciation.
- One-Way insurance: It’s a basic type of car insurance. It only covers liability and doesn’t cover damage to your vehicle.
- Insurance policy coverage – Perils You are accountable for a particular situation or risk. Floods, fires, and theft are all instances of perils.
- Protection against Property Damage: Protection against liability for damage to property of another, including the loss of access to the property.
- Coverage – Specialized Perils: Also known as named perils These are the kinds of damages which are explicitly listed in the text of your policy, and therefore protected. For example, your policy may name specific perils, like:
- Theft or attempted theft
- Water rising
- Riots or civil unrest
The forced landing or fall of aircrafts or components of aircraft, or the burning, stranding, sinking, derailment or collision of any kind of transport
Uninsured Auto Insurance The coverage covers accidents, the death of a person, injuries and repair (a deductible could apply depending on your policy and laws in the state where the incident took place), in the event that you are involved in an accident with an insured driver or with a driver who has been accused of a hit-and run violation.
Car insurance that is cheap protects the car and covers the necessary expenses should there be an accident. The best insurance for you is the one that offers the protection you need. There are a variety of insurance for car owners, and it could be an overwhelming task to pick the appropriate insurance. There are policies, such as comprehensive car insurance policies as well as the liability insurance policy that differ in terms of the extent of coverage provided. In the event of a fatal automobile accident, insurance provides the car owner with financial security. The rules and regulations regarding insurance coverage for autos differ from state to state. In most states, it is required that all car owners have car insurance. In Los Angeles, the premium for the insurance of a car may vary greatly dependent on the insurance company. For a low cost car insurance, it is worth comparing estimates from a variety of insurance firms.
State requirements for minimum coverage may differ from one state to another. California’s minimum insurance coverage is 15/30/5. This means California requires a minimum insurance coverage of $30,000 for all persons injured in an accident, but with a limit of $15,000 per individual as well as $5,000 coverage for property damage.
In general, insurance companies look at the driving record of a car owner. If a car owner has a clean driving record is eligible to receive reductions on premiums. Numerous insurance companies provide loyalty discounts to owners who renew their policies with them.
A lot of insurance companies provide free quotes over the Internet. To find affordable and reliable car insurance, car owners may benefit from the services of discount broker insurance for cars. There are numerous insurance companies that offer extremely low-cost car insurance. Car owners should however confirm the legitimacy of these insurance companies. Insurance companies must be able to compare and contrast all the estimates before selecting an insurance provider.
Los Angeles car insurance costs depend on the brand and model of the car. Car insurance for sports vehicles tends to be more expensive than those for other vehicles.
Antique Car Insurance Advice
How To Obtain Car Insurance For An Antique Car
Many people choose to restore and show antique vehicles as a pastime. Even these antique cars require some insurance to protect against accidental damage. This is why many people search for car insurance for an antique car. There are many companies that offer insurance for antique vehicles. Some specialize in antique car insurance. By having a wide variety of insurance companies for cars to pick from, the customer has the option of choosing the best kind of insurance to meet their requirements.
Car Insurance Companies
Insurance companies for commercial vehicles can also provide insurance for antique vehicles. These policies, often referred to as collector car insurance are specific to the vehicle you wish to protect. A car insurance representative will take all your details and discuss different policy options with you to ensure that you are obtaining the coverage that you need. They will also help you determine which kinds of insurance will fit within your budget and which deductible and limit levels you’ll require.
Insuring an antique vehicle through an insurance company for commercial vehicles can give the policy holder peace of mind knowing that the business they choose to work with is a well-established business with a solid reputation. The policy hold may also have their everyday use cars covered by the same company. It’s worthwhile to have a reputable firm insure your classic car.
Independent Insurance Companies
There are many independent insurance firms that are able to purchase car insurance for an antique car. They tend to concentrate on antique car insurance and will not be able to insure other kinds of vehicles. Certain independent insurance firms are only able to insure a certain type of antique car, therefore if the vehicle you are attempting to insure is a rare one, it could be difficult to find an insurance provider who will cover the vehicle. When choosing an insurance provider that is independent to offer insurance on antique cars, make sure that the company is reputable. You do not want to find out after months of paying insurance premiums, the company can’t or won’t be able to pay your claim.
10 MOST COMMON QUESTIONS REGARDING AUTO insurance
1.IS CAR INSURANCE VERY EXPENSIVE?
Auto insurance is relatively inexpensive when compared to other expenses like health insurance. In 2019 the average annual cost of insurance for autos was $941.65. The cost of your insurance could depend on a number of variables.
2. WHAT IS THE BEST TIME TO PURCHASE CAR INSURANCE?
Before you even get on the pedal, you require auto insurance. Even if your car was bought a few minutes prior you drive without insurance, it is unlawful.
3. Does MY RED CAR CHARGE MORE COVER?
No. This is a popular myth. Your vehicle’s color doesn’t affect the cost of insurance for your vehicle.
4. DOES MY GENDER AFFECT MY AUTO INSURANCE PREMIUM?
Oftentimes, yes. Different criteria are utilized by insurance companies to decide rates. It’s becoming less common for males to have higher rates due to their gender.
5. DOES MY CREDIT SCORE AFFECT MY PREMIUM RATES?
Yes. The lower your credit score, the more you will have to cover in monthly premiums.
6. CAN AN INSURANCE COMPANY DENY ME SERVICE?
Yes. Yes. This is particularly applicable if the driver been found guilty of DUI, was involved in an accident, or has a low credit score.
7. WILL A PARKING TICKLE BE INSIDE MY REGISTRY RISE MY PREMIUM
It’s not always the case. It is possible to have one incident on your history without it adversely affects your premium.
8. WHAT IF I LIE ABOUT MY DRIVING HISTORY?
This is referred to as soft fraud by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This will provide insurance companies enough reasons to cancel your policy, or deny you services.
9. WHAT IF I FORGET ABOUT A TICKET ON MY INSURANCE APPLICATION?
They will not conclude that you’ve been lying if you fail to mention a ticket or incident when you provide your information to the insurance company. When they review your records, they’ll adjust your quote to reflect the missing information.
10. WHO CAN I PUT ON AN AUTO INSURANCE LICENCE?
If your family members reside at the same address, you are able to add them to your policy.