Sometimes, you might disagree with the insurer’s decision regarding your claim. Although this can be difficult, there are steps you should take to ensure the best outcome.
Must Read: massachusetts inexpensive auto insurance
Property that has been stolen or lost
You may be able argue against the reduction of your claim by your insurance company’s loss adjusters due to the age of stolen property.
- You may be able argue that your policy covers contents on a “new-for-old” basis to your insurer.
- The policy pays the entire cost of replacing lost or stolen items with brand new ones.
- Indemnity coverage is a common feature of many policies. Your insurer will replace the stolen or lost item with one of the same condition and age.
- Examine your policy coverage. Although indemnity coverage may be less expensive than the new-for-old policy, it could make you worse off if your claim is large.
Most popular: travelinsurance
- You may not be entitled to compensation for the entire set if a single item is damaged or stolen.
- Your policy’s written terms will determine a lot.
- You won’t be able to insist on the replacement of the entire suite unless the policy explicitly states that it should be considered a single entity.
- If the language is unclear, it must be read in your favor and against the insurance company. In such cases, the interpretation that favors you should prevail.
- If you are not sure or satisfied with the offer from your insurance company, you can write to your insurer to explain your dissatisfaction and ask for clarification on the coverage.
Also Read: the three c filing a travel insurance claim
- If your insurance doesn’t believe that you have storm damage, you will need to show proof that your property was damaged by strong winds and rain.
- You will need to prove that the storm occurred at the time of the damage. This can be done by the Meteorological Office.
- It may also be beneficial to get an independent opinion from a builder, or structural engineer to confirm that the damage you claim is not due to a storm.
- You can also claim for additional damages if other properties were damaged in the area.
Financial Ombudsman Service
If your insurance company has exhausted all complaints procedures and you still have not received a settlement, you can contact Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Never Miss: whats covered under travel insurance
FOS refers to the unjust treatment of customers by insurance companies and poor service.